Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Self Regulation

How might self-efficacy and self-regulation contribute to the intervention plans you use in your case study?

Lisa regularly acts as a class disturbance. She gets angry with others if she does not get the job she wants and refuses to do her part in contributing to the group’s learning. She constantly interrupts others in her group. She does not pay attention when her group prepares for class presentations. 

In Lisa's case, it seems to me that she is not necessarily experiencing low self-efficacy in relation to the art activities. Lisa is not showing effect self regulation while working with her peers. I'd address her behavior by pulling Lisa aside, as I discussed in an earlier post, and discussing her behavior with her. 

In my previous post I discussed the Restitution Model for classroom management. This involves setting "baseline rules" which have set consequences. If students violate these absolute rules, they are taken aside and explained to why these consequences are in place (again) and how their behavior affects the classroom. I got some wonderful feedback on this model suggesting I set more specific rules for Lisa. With that in mind, I think I would set the initial "baseline rules" with the entire class at the beginning of the year. As soon as I noticed Lisa's misbehavior I would make it a point to pull her aside and discuss with her the implications of her outbursts. I would discuss how working cohesively in a group can benefit not only her group members, but Lisa as well. I would outline my expectations for her behavior in very clear terms. 

If Lisa continued to act out, I would sit down with her again and work on a contingency plan with her. We'd discuss specific self regulating techniques Lisa might use when she becomes upset. For example, if Lisa doesn't feel she can control her outburst in a group, she might remove herself from the situation to the Distraction Free Zone and cool down as she works on her part of the project. Or she might ask the teacher for an individual assignment, accepting that working alone will most likely be a more difficult, less exciting endeavor. I would be sure to boost her self efficacy in relation to her ability to self regulate, as I imagine Lisa attributes her outbursts to external factors. I would be sure to reinforce the idea that Lisa is responsible for her own actions, and that she is wholly capable of working with her group in the role she's assigned. If Lisa proved able to exhibit self regulating tendencies, I would reward her for following her plan with extrinsic motivators to the whole group the first couple of times she showed self control. I'd gradually decrease the extrinsic rewards as she began working cohesively in her group, making sure to point out the benefits inherent in her self regulating strategies.   
 

Teacher as a facilitator video.

Self regulation in the classroom video.

No comments:

Post a Comment